Sunday, February 17, 2013

My First Potlach

Oh my goodness...I had so much fun at Potlach.  Where to begin?! My friends were all annoyed with me before we even left because I was so excited.  How could I not be?!  The thing I most looked forward to since I've moved here!  Laura, Sara, Nathan and I walked to the Community Complex.  We got there...and there were a few snow machines...
The city plowed another "driveway" for them to park.

We got into the Complex and they were handing out gifts.  So, the chain of events of the Potlach is like this:
  1. The elder of the family introduces the kids who are doing their first dance and the parents of the kids.
  2. They start an assembly line to bring in all the gifts the family will give away to the community.
  3. The family presents the gifts first to the kids, then to the rest of the community, giving away a TON of stuff.
  4. The kids do their First Dance.
  5. The adults of the family do a few dances.
  6. They take a break.
  7. They start the whole process over again with the next family.
Some of the kids passing out gifts to the community.

The complex was packed!  A lot of people come from around different villages for potlach

So, we walked into the middle of one of Laura's students' First Dance.  He is in kindergarten and was so cute.  Then we got to watch one of my student's first dances, along with 4 of her cousins at the same time.  It was so nice.  She looked adorable!  She's shy and doesn't like pictures taken of her in school often, so of course I told her I'd take a million of them!
One of my veteran girls, dancing.

A woman from Alakanuk made score signs.  The reason why they used to dance was so that they could battle.  Instead of killing each other, they would dance to see who the best village was.  So she thought she'd be funny and say Alakanuk was winning...far from it!  My kids were amazing!  Go EMO!

My student's grandfather (the elder) introducing her to the community.  Her dad is behind her in the torquise.

She was standing and being presented with gifts.

They had to stand there for a while and not talk to anyone, they were just presented with the gifts.

Dancing her first dance!!!
She and her dad dancing.

 
I wanted to show the difference of what the boys look like compared to the girls on their first dance.  Also, the elder is speaking in Yup'ik.  I was very pleased to hear that the ceremony is done in their Native Tongue.


I loved watching this dance.  You can see everyone moving together.

Laura and I were given generous gifts.  It's more custom for the people of other villages and the elders to get gifts (hats, gloves, scarves, socks, pop, water, dish clothes, spears, fish nets, shovels... a lot of different gifts they've made and/or bought throughout the year getting ready for potlach).  Laura and I got pop, water, candy, bandanas, and cups.  It was very generous of them to give us gifts.  We really appreciate it!

I'm now at home reading The Da Vinci Code, trying to finish it and not have to go to school and do work.  However, I'm afraid I will have to work at some point soon.  I want to reorganize my classroom and do a lot of paperwork...ew.  Oh the life of a teacher!

BTW! Laura and I are thinking of going to Hawaii at the end of the year.  Yay!  She has connections!  It's pretty cheap to fly there from Alaska, so we're excited!

Here are some pictures of the snow.
The boardwalk on the way to school.  It's about 2 1/2 feet deep here.

These bars are usually up to our elbows. 

On the right hand side is the bike holder.  It's about 3 feet high.  We lost about 3 stairs, also, because they're under snow now:)
P.S.  can anyone notice the difference in the pictures with my new camera versus my old?  It's amazing!!!!  Thanks Ma and Pa!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Potlach sounds like a lot of fun and I'm very happy that you are becoming part of a very special group up there. Since they gave you and Laura gifts, they must think a lot of both of you. Congrats on becoming involved so much. We are having trouble seeing the videos on our computer...Dad has already informed me we need a new one! And by the way...I've never been to Hawaii!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete