Monday, April 15, 2013

Kids

It was a rough day at school today.  The staff kept calling it Moaping Monday.  The kids weren't doing well. They were whining, putting their heads down, angry, and not listening.  I was pretty upset.  I just needed to take some time off and be by myself.  Then I came home and I just felt worse.  Then one of my Native friends called and told me she'd come pick me up and take me around town.  I told her it was all right.  Then two kids called me, offered to take me to the restaurant, and made sure I went.  They wouldn't let me just take the food home - they made sure I socialized.  Then they drove me around town, talked about everything that happened in the different buildings, where people lived... Just to get my mind off things.  Then I got home, and had a message from some old students saying they were there if I needed to talk.  "If you wanna talk Ms. Chomic, we can. You taught me as student, now let me help you as a friend."  

I was so touched.  It was just what I needed today.  We all have those days where we don't know what we're doing and if what we're trying to do is actually working... Today I realized it worked.  I had so many kids trying so hard to make sure I was okay.  I realized this is exactly where I need to be.  Thank you to all my students: previous and present.

No comments:

Post a Comment